In 2008 Leveda (now Lighthouse Disability) received funding to introduce Active Support within their organisation.
Active Support is an evidence-based approach to the design and delivery of community-based support services for people living with disability, especially those with complex support needs. It involves training staff in specific skills and organisational procedures that focus on increasing the levels of engagement and community participation for people living with high and complex support needs.
The key outcomes of the project were:
- People living with disability experiencing increased levels of engagement and community participation
- Increased levels of staff engagement
- Cultural change within Leveda leading to the redesigning of organisational systems and processes to underpin the Active Support methodology
- The production of an Active Support Training Manual and DVD for other organisations to use
- Alignment of Active Support Training to national competencies in Certificate 3 and 4 in Community Services Disability.